Piza-Tower or which is known as “Torre Pendente di Pisa” in Italy is one of the oldest structures in Italy that ranked third. It is a bell tower that is located behind a cathedral and baptistery, see 3d photo. This is a leaning tower that has a distinct structure that makes it unique compare to other architectural buildings in Italy.
Piza-Tower or Leaning Tower of Pisa was constructed with a height of 55.86m on its low side and on its high side is 56.70m. The walls from its base measures 4.09m and the dimension of the top is 2.48 m. This tower structure that weighs 14,500 ton approximately has 296 steps, and seven floors. The original angle of the tower is 5.5 degrees, after the restoration this now leans 3.99 degrees.
The construction of this Piza-tower went through three stages in span of 177 years where it started in August 8, 1173. The second floor was made in 1178 and the construction was stopped during the war with Florence, Genoa, and Luca which is advantageous for the building because it has given time to settle sturdily in its location. It was in 1198 that clocks were installed on third floor. Giovanni di Simone continued the construction in 1272 where the engineers built the succeeding one side of each floor taller to other side. The construction was stopped during the Battle of Meloria in 1284, where the Genoans overpowered the Pisans. The completion of the 7th floor was made in 1319 by Tomasso di Andrea Pisano. This tower has seven bells each have distinct note and it was in 1655 that the largest bell was mounted. In 1372 bell chamber was added. From 1990 to 2001 the strengthening of the structure of the tower started again because of its old age and other factors that contribute to the corrosion of the building such as the weather.
The architect of this Piza-Tower is surrounded with controversy and it is only based from the name inscribed at the tower’s foot Guglielmo and the name of another artist Bonanno Pisano. See Piza Tower’s 3D photo. Another one is Diotisalvi however it is said that this architect usually puts his signature when the construction is finished and no signature of him is seen in this tower. There are also speculations that Galileo Galilei has used the tower as the place for his experiment in determining the speed the cannon balls. This tower was also used as observation tower by the Germans in World War II.
Now Piza-Tower is a site which is part of the UNESCO’s World Heritage.